It had been over a month since
I did the mod waiting for cloudy night skies to clear over PA.
I was finally able to take the first astro-images with the modified
Rebel on 1/15/05. Skies were very hazy with some high clouds along
with light from a 5 day Moon and a snow covered ground. Comet
Macholtz was near Zenith so I tried imaging it and also M42 with
an Orion ED80 refractor and f/6.3 focal reducer. The ED80 was
piggybacked on a 10" LX200 classic. The poor sky conditions
and moonlight allowed for only short exposures and capturing of
the comet's tail was difficult. I noticed that the RAW images
of the modified Rebel had a very red-ish cast as compared to the
unmodified camera as expected. Ambient temperature was 15 degrees
Fahrenheit so no dark frames were needed. Images were unguided.
This is a photo of the modified
Canon Rebel, reducer and baader filter as they were used in the
For a comparison of .8X, f/6.3
and f/5 focal reducers used with the Canon 10D/ Rebel camera &
Orion ED80 Refractor CLICK HERE.
Comet Machholz: Used
Images Plus to combine four 1-minute exposures at ISO 800 using
Normalized Median combine:
Comet Machholz: Combined
twelve 1-minute exposures at ISO 400 using Median combine with
processing to help reveal comet tail:
M42 Orion Nebula:
Used Images Plus to
combine eight 1-minute exposures at ISO 800 using Average combine:
The camera tested okay considering
the poor sky conditions and it should perform well under darker
skies. I will need to learn how best to handle the greater red
response when processing images with the modified camera.
Canon Digital Rebel